Monday, August 10, 2015

What is the one question I wanted to ask each person I met on the journey?

But did not?

That is, why are you doing this?

This is not a walk in the park. To do this takes an unbelievable amount of time, energy, physical exertion, stamina, mental toughness, perseverance.  Why? Why?

The only thing I can figure is that the reason for each person has to be VERY, VERY important to them, or they would not be doing this.  The reason for each person has to be SO, SO personal to them. 

Of all the conversations I have had with other peregrinos during the last two weeks I think this question has only come up a couple of times.  It is just too personal. 

The other reality is that it does not matter. 

Whatever motivated you to make this effort, more power to you. 

For me, I am not really sure what the single most important motivator was to make this journey. As I mentioned in my first email to you about the trip, there were several reasons. 

As I reflect on it today, having completed the pilgrimage, the following stand out for me. 

The idea of doing a "check in" with yourself as you reach certain stages in life. In my case, having passed the septuagenerian mark. Also, realizing that my relationship with my kids is changing.  My daughter, my princess, is getting married.  My son is moving strongly into his 30's.  My step children too, especially one who, all of a sudden, is fighting some real health issues. 

The second major motivator for me has been a recent -- say, over the last six to nine months -- focus on trying to identify and narrow down what is really important in life. The search for the answer to this question is driving me. I think the reason is that I want to make sure that in 30 years that I don't turn around and look back and say to myself, oh s**t, how did I miss that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment